Provide a safe and efficient Intermodal Transportation System.
1. Develop, operate and maintain safe,
efficient and effective highway and transportation systems. Strategies:
- Plan, design and manage highway projects.
- Provide for construction of the highway system and
- Provide for maintenance and operation to prevent major
deterioration of the State Highway System.
- Enforce all laws pertaining to the operation of motor
vehicles over the highways of the State, such as Motor
Carrier Safety Regulations, Hazardous Materials
Regulations and speed enforcement. Enforce laws
pertaining to the use, bulk storage and transportation of
motor fuels and special distillate fuels.
- Optimize timing of highway right of way acquisition and
- Administer comprehensive traffic safety programs relating
to driver, roadway and railroad crossing safety.
- Promote Public Transportation with programs such as the
Small Urbanized Area Formula Program, Non-Urbanized Area
Formula Program, Elderly and Disabled Capital Program,
Metropolitan Planning Organization Planning Program, and
State Planning and Research Program.
Promote adequate funding to construct and maintain our
State transportation infrastructure. Strategies:
- Review, evaluate and utilize appropriate infrastructure
- Actively seek all State and Federal Transportation funds.
Facilitate economic and social prosperity through the
efficient movement of people and goods. Strategies:
- Support and promote transportation related activities of
state and local governments consistent with Commission
goals and objectives.
- Support and promote tourism by construction and
maintenance of Tourist Information Centers, maintenance
of State park routes, and tourist directional signs
Facilitate Intermodal connections. Strategies:
- Improve and promote the connectivity of transportation
services and systems.
- Support and promote intermodal transportation activities
(air, highway, rail, transit, waterway, pipelines, etc.).
- Work with all transportation providers and partners to
establish a statewide transportation system.
- Inform all customers about alternative transportation
systems, services and corridors.
Coordinate highway planning with other modes of
Maximize external and internal customer satisfaction.
(External customers include
public sector, private sector and government entities as well as
the general public. Internal customers are Department employees.)
1. Improve external customer satisfaction. Strategies:
- Improve methods of identifying and meeting customer
- Solicit and evaluate customer recommendations and reply
promptly to their concerns.
- Inform customers of the Department's available products
- Enhance communication and coordination with public
Encourage quality work and products. Strategies:
- Ensure the accountability of product and service
- Implement product and service improvements identified by
- Optimize the use of all external and internal resources.
Promote positive, productive working environment. Strategies:
- Promote an environment of mutual respect, trust and
fairness in which all employees' contributions are
recognized as important.
- Encourage open communication and promote teamwork.
- Promote a safe, flexible and supportive environment to
accommodate a diverse work force.
- Place authority, responsibility and accountability at the
lowest practical organizational level.
- Ensure uniform application of Department policies and
- Focus career enhancement and continuing education
programs to enable each employee to reach their full
potential with AHTD.
- Recognize the value of all professions and trades.
Objective: 4. Enhance public perception of AHTD. Strategies:
- Improve and expand programs to inform the public about
the Department through appropriate use of public
meetings, public access data providers, news media and
the AHTD Public Affairs Office.
- Encourage appropriate employee involvement in the local
for continual improvement.
- Improve level of customer service.
- Improve permit issuance software and utilize latest
computer technology (customer data base, automated
routing, latest network and work station hardware).
- Provide access to pertinent on-line computer services.
Continually improve the way we do business. Strategies:
- Conduct ongoing assessment of organizational structure
and modify as current needs indicate.
- Improve data collection quality and reduce reporting
burdens through innovations such as, EDI (Electronic Data
Interchange), OCR (Optical Character Recognition),
document imaging, electronic forms, GIS (Geographic
Information Systems), etc.
- Develop standard formats for AHTD data.
- Develop and maintain state-of-the-art capabilities to
facilitate people-to-people communications.
Provide employees with proper training and tools. Strategies:
- Provide computer hardware and software to perform daily
- Continue and expand AHTD training programs.
- Examine new and innovative techniques and concepts for
Utilize innovative programs to improve the economy,
efficiency and effectiveness of Department operations. Strategies:
- Continue Quality Improvement which is an effort to
enhance joint projects between the Department and the
Federal Highway Administration, other state and local
- Promote the Quality Initiative Program which provides
employees an opportunity to contribute feedback to
enhance the work force through work teams.
- Use partnering as a tool to promote understanding and
Optimize the use of research. Strategies:
- Continue internal research programs.
- Promote and use the research and development programs of
the State's colleges and universities.
- Utilize research data gathered by other states, the
Transportation Research Board, Federal Highway
Administration, American Association of State Highway and
Transportation Officials and other sources.
Enhance the social, economic and environmental qualities of
- Promote growth that enhances the quality of life.
- Improve opportunities for mobility for disabled
- Coordinate transportation development with local
- Conserve resources by using recycled and environmentally
sensitive materials and supplies when feasible.
- Use alternative fuel and energy technologies as
- Continue programs for improving roadside aesthetics and
Provide a base for economic
- Develop a comprehensive, reliable and continuing program
for transportation infrastructures.
- Support tourism and recreation.
- Support opportunities for economic development in
- Continue to seek additional funding sources to expand
various Access Road Programs.
Preserve and enhance the environment through sound
transportation decisions. Strategies:
- Maintain cooperative efforts with Federal, State and
local agencies to ensure environmental quality of life is
preserved and enhanced.
- Continue integrating environmental protection and
enhancement into the project development process.
- Educate AHTD employees on environmental issues and