This FTA program is an unfunded requirement for a State to provide safety and security oversight on transit passenger rail systems. Central Arkansas Transit Authority (CATA) operates River Rail that is a vintage streetcar system. This Section provides oversight responsibilities through the development of a State Safety Plan Standard and State Security and Emergency Preparedness Plan Standard. Reporting consists of an annual report, certifications, and semi-annual reviews of the CATA Safety Program Plan and Security and Emergency Preparedness Plan, Three Year Audit, and the FTA Triennial Audit.
The Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department is the “State Safety Oversight Agency” as required by 49 CFR 659, to perform the following duties pursuant to Light Rail operations within the State of Arkansas. - Develop a System Safety Program (Program Standard).
- Require, review, approve, and monitor the implementation of a System Safety Program Plan (SSPP) that complies with the Oversight
- Agency’s Program Standard at each rail transit system.
- Require each rail transit system to report the occurrence of accidents and unacceptable hazardous conditions within a period of time
--specified by the Oversight Agency.
- Require the rail transit system to implement corrective action plans.
- Conduct on-site visits and/or inspections at each rail transit system.
- Require the rail transit system to conduct their own safety audits as applicable.
Phone: (501) 569-2478
Fax: (501) 569-2476