Heading

- HomeProgram Management Division Safe Routes To School Program Safe Routes To School Application Information

Safe Routes To School Application Information


The program is 100% federally funded and is administered by the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD). The Department is required by Federal legislation to spend at least 10% and no more than 30% of Safe Routes To School funds on educational and encouragement programs. The remaining 70% to 90% of funds are to be allocated to infrastructure projects which can include the development of comprehensive Safe Routes To School plans and Planning Grant Awards.

Applicants will submit the applications to the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department by the published deadline.  Staff will review all applications to determine if they are eligible and complete.  Complete applications for eligible programs/projects will be transmitted to the Arkansas Safe Routes To School Advisory Committee.  This group has membership representing the Arkansas Department of Education, the Arkansas Department of Health and Human Services, the Arkansas Municipal League, Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas, one of Arkansas’ eight planning and development districts, the Arkansas Safe Schools Association, the Arkansas Association of School Administrators and the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department.

The Arkansas Safe Routes To School Advisory Committee will rate each application based on the point system as indicated in the application.  They will develop a list of projects recommended for funding.  The list will be presented to the Arkansas Highway Commission for their consideration.  Projects approved by the Commission will be forwarded to the Federal Highway Administration with a request for concurrence.

Upon Federal Highway Administration’s approval, all applicants will be notified and project sponsors will be invited to a Safe Routes To School Project Administration Workshop.

Applications

Planning Grant

Walking School Bus Program Grant


Educational Program Grant

Infrastructure Project

Required Surveys


 

 

Copyright © 2007 AHTD
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Freedom of Information